Taylor Swift has released her 8th studio album and she describes it as “wistful and full of escapism" as well as "sad, beautiful, tragic”. Touted as the best work of her career, she is no doubt one of the most powerful songwriters of our time. I love listening to her masterfully crafted lyrics - my top eight include:
1. “And if my wishes came true / It would've been you / In my defense, I have none / For never leaving well enough alone / But it would've been fun / If you would've been the one” (“the 1”)
2. “You drew stars around my scars / But now I'm bleedin'” (“cardigan”)
3. “There goes the maddest woman this town has ever seen / She had a marvelous time ruining everything” ( “the last great american dynasty”)
4. “I didn't have it in myself to go with grace / And you're the hero flying around, saving face / And if I'm dead to you, why are you at the wake?” (“my tears ricochet”)
5. “August sipped away like a bottle of wine / ‘Cause you were never mine” (“august”)
6. “Time, curious time / Gave me no compasses, gave me no signs / Were there clues I didn't see? /
And isn't it just so pretty to think / All along there was some / Invisible string / Tying you to me?” (“invisible string”)
7. “Don't want no other shade of blue but you / No other sadness in the world would do” (“hoax”)
But it is her duet with Bon Ivor which is heartbreakingly beautiful....
8. “I think I've seen this film before / And I didn't like the ending / You're not my homeland anymore / So what am I defending now? / You were my town, now I'm in exile, seein' you out / I think I've seen this film before / So I'm leavin' out the side door” ( “exile”)
Billboard: "A project created in isolation..... We're fortunate that she decided to share it with us."